Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Computer repeatedly restarting..

Living in my aunt's house for the past one year plus, I somehow turned into their IT tech person. To be honest, my skills are horrible, but so far manage to solve almost all the problems that cropped up.

The other day, my cousin just told me his computer had some problem, and without offering more information..... just ran off to skate. *D'uh!*

So I just boot up the pc, and the computer just kept repeatedly restarting without going into windows (running on XP pro). Actually, there was also a black screen prompting on which mode that we would like to startup with, but no matter what mode was chosen, it will run and then just reboot itself. An attempt to restart on safe mode discovered that it stopped running at a file known as "agp440.sys". Just as what I expected as this is not the first time the problem crop up; probably the third time, I think.

Problem with this time was I knew what needs to be done, but did not have the installer. So I just informed my aunt that I would require the XP Pro cd, which took quite awhile to get through as she is not from IT background. :b
She finally produced the cd today (borrowed from friend).

So I happily went to attemp to solve the problem. :b
Put the cd in, hit R for repair. Then then then... *oops!!* DOS (I think is DOS gua~) appeared. *OOPS!!!!!* I forgotten what's the command; only remembered it ended with /r.
The last time it happened was months ago and I found the solution Googling.

This time around, I googled and googled but was unable to find the command. Argh. Then I stumbled on the check disk command and everything came back to me..... Woot!!

The command to run: chkdsk /r

Upon completion, exit, rebooted and tested ok.
Woot!!! I did it again! :b

Hehe... Actually, this post is a just "self-reminder" on what command to use if problem reoccurs.
Haha...

Labels: ,

0 Thoughts:

Post a Comment

<< Home